RSS Feed
TOP

Why "Excellence" Repels Recruiters

Sheila: You discourage people from using words like "excellent" in their resumes. I think I have "excellent" communication skills. Why wouldn't I want to advertise this?

First, your claim that you have excellent communications skills is an opinion. If I am reading your resume (or cover letter), I am not looking for your opinions. I am looking for your skills, and evidence that you are a good fit for the particular job for which I am hiring. I want you to give me the supporting evidence. Then, I will make my own decision as to the level of your skills.

Second, superlatives are a source of risk. People have widely different definitions of what "excellent" means and you will not always fit with their definition. If you fall below their expectations, you have seriously compromised your chances.

Are you wondering How to Get Hired? Join the discussion on my Facebook Group Polished and ask me anything you have ever wondered about resumes, cover letters, interviews, and job hunting!

0 comments:

Post a Comment